Monday, December 10, 2007

Question of the Day (or Your Whole Life)

"What do you value most?"

A young woman died in an car accident in November. She was the daughter of friends and a friend of my daughter. My friends are living out one of my all-time worst nightmares.

At her service last weekend a young man who rode with her part of the way on her last trip told how she had really gotten him thinking that day with one question: "What do you value most?" She followed her question with the statement to the effect that if you didn't know the answer to that question how would you know what to do? It might seem superficial but with that context it is a very powerful question.

This is a good question in that context. I've started telling people a bit about her and her question. As a person with a tendency toward Process Theology, I believe that our impact on other people is our best form of immortality.

One of the greatest laments about the death of such a young person is that she had so much potential to change the world and that the world would no longer have the benefit of her unique presence. I am going to start asking other people her question. I will also pass along a bit of her story so that people will know a little about her. In this way, she will continue to make a difference in this world.

No comments: